Running Hazards Ahead (A.K.A. Tourists)

Since rain was threatening all morning and I slept later than I had intended, I put off my run today until later than I would have liked. Finally, around noon, I headed out only to find that it had actually started raining. I came back upstairs and I believe Joe called me something along the lines of “wimp.” I glanced out the window and saw at least three runners so I sucked it up and went back out. The rain had already started to taper off anyway.

I wanted to do five easy miles today and I was ready to go pretty much the second I got out the door. But my Garmin was struggling to find satellites. I walked a bit and got tired or waiting so I just turned on Endomondo  my phone. After 3/4 of a mile, I made it to Constitution Avenue and my Garmin finally found those satellites so I switched over to tracking my distance on my watch to preserve my phone battery. (And oops, by starting “easy” I was doing an 8:49 pace. Had to definitely slow that down.)


Okay, so it’s blurry but this was really frustrating me. My watch usually finds satellites quickly during early morning runs.

It was cloudy and relatively cool with a nice breeze. The humidity was up obviously but it didn’t feel anywhere near as bad as last week’s race so I was feeling pretty good. Until I was confronted with walls of tourists everywhere. I love running in D.C. because I still think it’s one of the most beautiful cities in the world, even though I’ve lived here my whole life. What I don’t love is trying to maneuver around tourists. I’ll never understand why some people feel the need to block the entire sidewalk. This can happen with big groups or as few as two people, which usually happens when one person in a duo seems to have forgotten how to walk in a straight line and swerves all over the sidewalk, trying to figure out which way to go. They also completely lack any sense of their surroundings and seem completely caught off guard when you find a tiny opening to breeze past them. I also dread seeing large student groups because a) it can be impossible to get around them and b) kids don’t feel any need to try to get out of the way. On top of the sidewalk blockers and student groups, there are also people on segways and bikes to contend with.

Anyway, the weather started to clear and it became a beautiful day.


Hey look! I found a spot with NO PEOPLE on the Tidal Basin.


Still some clouds but a nice view anyway.

I made my way back to the Mall to meet up with Joe, who was going to run a short distance with me because he’s not running much right now. So he ran a mile to the Mall and then we ran a quarter mile together.


Comfy on a chair, waiting for Joe. Off to the right, you can see they’re already doing some prep work for the Folklife Festival.


I was bored waiting so I took a picture of my Asics. I don’t run in these much anymore. Overall they are comfortable but today the right one was rubbing the side of my foot and I have the beginnings of nice big blister. Love these pants too, from Under Armour. And yes, I know, my legs need more sun.

I finally found Joe and we rounded out my five miles. Then we took a little walk around. There was something interesting going on at the Mall today: the One Million Bones project. From the project’s website:

One Million Bones is a large-scale social arts practice, combining education, hands-on art making, and public installations to raise awareness of ongoing genocides and mass atrocities in places like Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia and Burma.

For the past three years we have been collecting 1,000,000 handcrafted bones for a three-day installation event on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., June 8-10, 2013. The installation will exist as a collaborative site of conscience to honor victims and survivors, and will also serve as a visual petition against ongoing conflicts and a resounding call for much need and long overdue action.

There were a ton of volunteers, all dressed in white, laying these bones out on the Mall. And there was some REALLY creepy music playing in the background.


“Bones” for as far as the eye can see.


More “bones”

Toward the middle of the Mall, and on a completely different note, there were a bunch of food trucks. I resisted but it was tempting.

Mmmm, food trucks.

Instead, I just ended up with this because I had been thinking about it since the halfway point of my run. It was gone in about 2.5 seconds.



And now the rest of the day will be dedicated to relaxing and grocery shopping. I live on the edge I tell you.

What are you doing with your Saturday?