Race for Hope Recap/BeerFest

I must have been ready for a race this morning because I woke up at 6:30, a full half hour before my alarm was supposed to go off. And trust me, I never wake up that early on the weekends. It was at least nice to have some time to relax before we headed down to the race.

I woke Joe up, downed some water and and a slice of peanut butter wheat toast and we were off to Freedom Plaza for the Race for Hope. One of the great things about living downtown is that we can usually walk to the start line when it comes to D.C. races.

It was chilly this morning, probably only about 50 degrees and it was cloudy and breezy. Good running weather but not great when you’re just standing around. Not long after we filed into the running corral, they did a parade for those who have survived brain tumors. I always have a hard time keeping it together at moments like that so it wasn’t surprising that I had a few tears in my eyes. There were folks of all ages and races. Brain tumors really don’t discern much when they pick their victims.


Sneaking a shot in front of the finish line before the race. Is that bad luck?

A survivor named Bethann Telford spoke to us before the race. She’s pretty inspiring. She’s run several marathons, including Boston, and has finished the Kona Ironman. Read more about her here.


Clouds starting to part before the race

A few minutes later we were off. As usual, it was a little crowded at the beginning and it took me a few minutes before I hit my stride. By the end of mile one, I felt good. I found a good pace. Around mile two I noticed that Joe wasn’t really running next to me like he normally does, but ahead of me. He was trying to pace me at a slightly faster clip than I was going.  It worked pretty well. We got faster with each mile.

Mile 1: 9:45

Mile 2: 9:10

Mile 3: 9:08

The course was really flat which was great. I think my Garmin said we gained one whole foot of elevation. Before I knew it, the race was over. I felt really strong during the run. The time according to my watch was 29:09. Official time was 29:06. So I was happy that I finished in under 3o minutes, unlike the Race for the Cure I did in Ocean City a couple of weeks ago. After just a couple of weeks of getting back into running, I cut a minute off my time so I was proud of that. But it’s a few minutes off my PR so I was disappointed about that and the fact that I just missed the 29 minute cutoff. I had a good kick at the end, I just should have picked it up a few seconds earlier.

I didn’t have much time to hang around after the race because I had to run home and shower to meet a couple of friends for LivingSocial’s BeerFest at the Fairgrounds. We grabbed a few goodies (mmm popsicles) and headed home.


Mmmm…post-race snacks.

Since it had been so chilly all morning, I was worried it would be cold at BeerFest. But the sun came out and  it warmed up. I actually think I got a little sunburn. I wasn’t feeling beer too much today but I did have a few tasty ones, like Ommegang’s Rare Vos. It had a hint of banana, so maybe that’s why it tasted so good to me today. And I had some pretty good pulled pork BBQ with cole slaw (which I’ve been loving lately for some reason even though I rarely eat it).


Yay beer!

After a long day on my feet, I was ready to come home and relax. It’s been a great weekend but I can’t believe it’s almost over already!

What did you do this weekend?