A Rude Awakening for My Morning Workout

Kona and Maui. Don't let their cute faces fool you. They're actually tiny terrorists.

Early this morning (I don’t know the exact time but it was an ungodly hour), I was rudely awakened by something crawling all over me. Then something was attacking my feet, followed by some head butting. I finally reached my breaking point when something curled up behind my head and began to bite it.

The creatures terrorizing me were actually my two cats Kona and Maui.

It seems like lately they have hit their terrible twos. Only one of them is actually going on her second year but maybe it’s the terrible twos of living with us. The last few days they have been crawling all over the bed and nudging us awake in the middle of the night. I’m guessing it’s because they’re hungry. I don’t know how that could be though because they’ve also suddenly started inhaling their food like they’re packing on pounds for winter.

Joe is lucky if he gets five hours of sleep. Around 3 or 4 in the morning, he’ll usually move out to the couch in the living room because he can’t sleep. They’ll follow him out there and begin engaging in some sort of feline Royal Rumble.

This morning I had my alarm set for 5:45 so I could get a bit of a workout in before work. Last fall I had gotten into the habit of getting up early to do some cardio. It’s awful getting up early but it’s also great getting it out of the way early in the day.

After the cats woke me up, I was awake between about 2:30 and 4. Wide awake.  The Tough Mudder was haunting me. Visions of obstacles kept popping up, like the mud hill I’d have to climb up. I worried that I would be too tired to climb over the cargo nets near the end of the course or that I’d drown in one of the swimming obstacles because my arms just wouldn’t move anymore. Something Joe told me earlier that night kept ringing in my head: his friend said running through the field of live wires feels like being hit in the face with a two-by-four.

I was so amped up with fear and anxiety that I seriously considered getting up and going down to the gym at 3 in the morning. After dwelling on these things for about an hour (I’m not exaggerating), I finally managed to fall back asleep. Naturally, when the alarm went off, I was deep in sleep and had to force myself to get up, partly because I’d told Joe the night before that if I didn’t get up to work out, he had my full permission to throw water on my face. And he would have done it too.

It’s been a while since I’ve gone to the gym that early so needless to say, it sucked. The temperature in the gym felt like it was set to 85. I was struggling to get going and I didn’t have a ton of time since I had to get back upstairs by 6:30 to shower and get ready for work.

But here’s the thing: I feel good this morning. It’s nice to know that I don’t have to go straight to the gym after work. I might do some strength training but at least I won’t have to get on the elliptical or the treadmill. My goal is to try doing this every other day during the week, even after the Tough Mudder.

I may not feel too good about the Tough Mudder right now, but at least I feel good about something.

Days to the Tough Mudder: 16